Frequently Asked Questions

register of deeds | Frequently Asked Questions

It is vital that deeds are prepared accurately. You can draw up your own deed but, to prevent mistakes that could be costly, we always recommend that you retain an attorney or title company to help ensure that the deed is prepared correctly. Our staff does not prepare deeds nor are we qualified to…

No. At least a portion of any property referred to in the document has to be located in Douglas County, Kansas.

While the Register of Deeds office does not directly provide this service, the public is welcome to research our records.

Yes. Douglas County will accept e-record documents from the following vendors: Simplifile – Mobilis – CSC-Corporation Service Company— ePN -

Documents must be an original. The only exceptions are certified copies from the courts.

In America, property ownership is almost taken for granted. But remember, there are countries where owning property is not the norm. The office was often created even before a state became an official part of the United States. The records retained in the Douglas County Register of Deeds office go…

Documents can be submitted for re-recording in one of two ways: We will accept the original document for re-recording with new signatures of (the original) signers and a new notary acknowledgement for them; or We will accept the original document with an Affidavit of Document Re-File completed and…

Documents are processed immediately upon presentation (excepting some surveys and plats).  Documents that are presented in person will be returned within 5-10 minutes.  Military Discharge papers may require up to an addition 15 minutes to process.  Documents received by…

YES. We can accept the three-part SVQ form or the one-part form.   For SVQ’s older than Revision 8/12 please provide the instruction page due to clause listed on the instruction page.

Once recorded, if your deed is lost or misplaced, a copy may be obtained from the Register of Deeds office and certified with an official stamp. There is a fee for the copy and the certification.

The legal description can be found on the deed to the property. If you do not have a copy of your deed one can be obtained at the Register of Deeds office. Please note that the legal description provided on tax statements are not a complete legal description.  

You can get the entire fee schedule by visiting the Register of Deeds Fee Schedule, or by visiting the Register of Deeds Office.

The Register of Deeds office is located at: Douglas County Courthouse 1100 Massachusetts Street, Lawrence, Kansas 66044 Phone: 785-832-5282 Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

The Register of Deeds is a county official elected to a four-year term who ensures that documents are recorded properly and also maintains and preserves those records according to Kansas law. 

This office is responsible for keeping a record of who owns what property. When you sell your property, someone checks our records to make sure that you have clear title to the property. If you are the buyer, someone is doing the same. They will need to know if the property is in your name (Deed)…