Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Various roads have different widths of right-of-way depending on several factors. Some have widths that were determined arbitrarily by statute based on the year they were created. Other roads have variable right-of-way widths depending on the terrain in which they are located. Roads built to…

The City of Lawrence/Douglas County Household Hazardous Waste program is open for Douglas County residents to drop-off household hazardous waste, or visit the product reuse area. The facility is located at 2201 Kresge Road in Lawrence, and is open Tuesday through Thursday, by appointment only.…

Water skiing is only allowed at Lone Star Lake on dates approved by the Board of County Commissioners. The dates approved for this calendar year can be found on the Lone Star Lake Skiing Dates page.

The park opens at 6:00 a.m. and closes at 10:00 p.m. The Wells Overlook park was donated in 1971 by William H. Wells in memory of William D. Wells and Charles W. Wells.

Ownership maps are available at the Engineering Division office at the Public Works Department, 3755 East 25th Street, Lawrence, KS 66046.

Please call the Public Works Department by telephone at 785-832-5293 to get one printed. The fee for a large ownership map is $23.00 with tax. …

Road maps are available at the Engineering Division office at the Public Works Department, 3755 East 25th Street, Lawrence, KS 66046.

Printed road maps are $5.00/each plus tax. 

If you have any questions, you may call the Public Works Department by telephone at 785-832-5293.…

If the immediate safety of traffic is at risk due to a missing traffic control sign, i.e. a STOP sign, then you should contact the appropriate law enforcement agency by dialing 911. Other rural sign problems concerning down or damaged signs should be reported by using this form.

There are several agencies located within Douglas County with rural roadway maintenance responsibilities. State and Federal highways are maintained by the Kansas Department of Transportation. Other major rural routes are maintained by the Douglas County Public Works Department. Local rural roads…

The governing body of each township is responsible for the treatment of all Noxious weeds on right-of-ways and properties supervised by them.

It is vital that deeds are prepared accurately. You can draw up your own deed but, to prevent mistakes that could be costly, we always recommend that you retain an attorney or title company to help ensure that the deed is prepared correctly. Our staff does not prepare deeds nor are we qualified…

No. At least a portion of any property referred to in the document has to be located in Douglas County, Kansas.

While the Register of Deeds office does not directly provide this service, the public is welcome to research our records.

Yes. Douglas County will accept e-record documents from the following vendors:

Simplifile –

Mobilis –

CSC-Corporation Service Company—

ePN -

Documents must be an original. The only exceptions are certified copies from the courts.

In America, property ownership is almost taken for granted. But remember, there are countries where owning property is not the norm. The office was often created even before a state became an official part of the United States. The records retained in the Douglas County Register of Deeds office…

Documents can be submitted for re-recording in one of two ways:

  • We will accept the original document for re-recording with new signatures of (the original) signers and a new notary acknowledgement for them; or
  • We will accept the original document with an Affidavit of…

Documents are processed immediately upon presentation (excepting some surveys and plats).  Documents that are presented in person will be returned within 5-10 minutes.  Military Discharge papers may require up to an addition 15 minutes to process.  Documents received by…

YES. We can accept the three-part SVQ form or the one-part form.   For SVQ’s older than Revision 8/12 please provide the instruction page due to clause listed on the instruction page.

Once recorded, if your deed is lost or misplaced, a copy may be obtained from the Register of Deeds office and certified with an official stamp. There is a fee for the copy and the certification.

The legal description can be found on the deed to the property. If you do not have a copy of your deed one can be obtained at the Register of Deeds office.

Please note that the legal description provided on tax statements are not a complete legal description.

You can get the entire fee schedule by visiting the Register of Deeds Fee Schedule, or by visiting the Register of Deeds Office.

The Register of Deeds office is located at:

Douglas County Courthouse

1100 Massachusetts Street, Lawrence, Kansas 66044

Phone: 785-832-5282

Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

The Register of Deeds is a county official elected to a four-year term who ensures that documents are recorded properly and also maintains and preserves those records according to Kansas law. 

This office is responsible for keeping a record of who owns what property. When you sell your property, someone checks our records to make sure that you have clear title to the property. If you are the buyer, someone is doing the same. They will need to know if the property is in your name (Deed…

No. Professional title examiners or abstractors search our records as well as other places, such as the courts, to determine if your title is free of encumbrances.