Do I have to get an attorney for this type of action?

You may wish to consult an attorney on any action you file or that is filed against you. In small claims court, an attorney cannot represent you, unless an individual, who is an attorney, is suing you. For more information, call the Access to Justice Advice Line at 1-800-675-5860.