Public Works

Mural at Baker Wetlands
Public Works

Contact Us

Hours: Mon-Fri, 8 am - 5 pm
Contact: Public Works

For Chemical Sales and Equipment Rental

Hours: 7am-3:30pm

Phone: 785-331-1322

Public Works

The Public Works Department maintains 224 miles of County roads, 158 bridges, 1,100 culverts, Lone Star Lake and seven County park sites.

The Operations Division provides road and bridge maintenance, road signage, roadside mowing and vegetation control, snow and ice removal, and park maintenance. The Operations Division also performs fleet maintenance for all County vehicles. The Engineering Division provides design, surveying, construction contracting and inspection, and permitting of work within road rights-of-way.

Bridge Repair

Current Road Closings

This interactive map shows road closures on county and township roads. Updates on unplanned road closures are made dynamically as supervisors report in.

View the Interactive Map
Entrance Layout Diagram

Entrance Permits

Get information about entrances and access management, including maps, regulations and applications for permits.

Get More Information
Chicken Creek Park

County Parks

Douglas County Public Works helps to maintain several lakes and parks, including observation points, historic sites and nature reserves.

Explore County Parks

Frequently Asked Questions

Household Hazardous Waste is handled by the City of Lawrence. Please contact them by calling the Lawrence Waste Reduction and Recycling Staff at 785-832-3032 to schedule a time to "shop our shelves"! 

Maybe. If your property has been surveyed and the resulting plat of survey was recorded then it is probably on file in the office of the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department located at 3755 East 25th Street, Lawrence, KS. It is… Read More

Douglas County does have a program that allows civic organizations the opportunity to Adopt-a-Highway. Requests are made to the Public Works Department, 3755 East 25th Street, Lawrence, KS 66046. If you have any questions you may call the Public… Read More

If the existing pipe or tube is too small to handle normal rainfall amounts then you should contact the Public Works Department by telephone at 785-832-5293. We will study the location and make a determination as to the best manner to proceed.

If the width of your entrance is too narrow because you have changed the type or size of vehicle(s) you are using then you would be responsible for the upgrade (widening) of the entrance. Applications for the upgrade of entrances are identical to… Read More

Roads are vacated by a legislative act by the Board of County Commissioners. The process to vacate a road is authorized by K.S.A. 68-102 et seq and, additionally, by Douglas County Charter Resolution No. 94-2-1. A hearing before the board and… Read More

Douglas County Public Works

3755 E 25th St
Lawrence, KS 66046
United States

Douglas County Public Works Building