Marriage and Divorce

Clerk of the District Court

7th Judicial District of Kansas

Contact Us

Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am - 12pm & 1pm - 4:30pm

Marriage, Divorce and Protection Orders

General information on applying for a marriage license and getting married in the State of Kansas

Get More Info

Information about getting divorced, legal advice, family guidelines and other related topics.

Get More Info

Information about stalking and abuse protection in the State of Kansas.

Get More Info

Getting Married

  • Either person to be married may apply for a Marriage License through the KS Courts website.
  • Please click on this link to be directed to the KS Courts website: KS Courts - Apply for Marriage License
  • You will pay for the marriage license through the KS Courts website.
  • There is a 3 day wait after the marriage application has been reviewed and accepted by the District Court.
  • Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply without parental consent.
  • Blood tests are not required.
  • The ceremony must be in the state of Kansas.
  • Applicant will receive typed copy of marriage license for ceremony via an encrypted email; it is applicant’s responsibility to print it off and take it to the ceremony
  • Please return completed ceremony paperwork to the District Court within 10 days of ceremony.
  • For more information on acquiring a new marriage license, contact the Clerk of the District Court's office at or 785-832-5227

To request copies of marriage certificate, you must contact the State of Kansas - Office of Vital Statistics at 785-296-1400.

When getting your license from the Clerk of the District Court's office, state your desire to have a judge perform the ceremony, and you will be given a list with the judge's name and contact information. There is a $50 fee for this service. Additional fees apply for ceremonies held off-site, on weekends, or on holidays.

For more information on acquiring a new marriage license, contact the Clerk of the District Court's office at or 785-832-5227.

Getting Divorced

In general, it's useful to get an attorney. However, some people do represent themselves. The Kansas Judicial Council provides some forms and instructions for that purpose. They are on the  Kansas Judicial Council - Divorce Forms website. Please note that these forms may not be applicable in their entirety in Douglas County. When you file your divorce petition in the court Clerk's office, be sure to get a Certificate of Divorce or Annulment. It is your responsibility to make sure your paperwork complies with the Rules of Court.

You may call the Access to Justice Advice Line at 1-800-675-5860, which may be able to help you.

In addition, the Douglas County District Court has made Limited Scope Representation available to assist individuals who are representing themselves.

Douglas County has adopted Family Law Guidelines which provide a uniform basis to evaluate issues and negotiate settlements. While the guidelines are generally followed by the judges in Douglas County, they are not Court Rules and they are not binding. The guidelines may apply to a broad range of cases but may not be determinative of the outcome of a particular case. The guidelines are not a substitute for creative thinking and critical analysis of the facts, circumstances and issues.

How to Select A Mediator

The Kansas Office of Judicial Administration suggests that individuals seeking a mediator first review the brochure: How to Select A Mediator.

Douglas County Mediation Services

The mission of Douglas County Domestic Mediation Services is to provide children with the opportunity to develop and maintain positive relationships with each of their parents through the development of a mutually acceptable plan for parenting. When parents find themselves sharing a child between two homes the challenges and emotions that occur often result in conflict between the parents. How parents deal with conflict has a profound influence on children. Mediation is one way for parents to resolve these conflicts in a way that allows children to have positive relationships with both parents. 

Learn More at the Court Trustee's web page.

List of Approved Mediators

See the Kansas Judicial Branch website for more information about approved dispute resolution providers and programs.

The District Court of Douglas County, Kansas is in the 7th Judicial District.  When selecting a mediator from the List of Approved Mediators, find a mediator with Judicial District "07" listed. If no Judicial Districts are listed for a mediator, you may have to contact them to see if they provide services in the 7th Judicial District.

Child and Spousal Support

For information about child and spousal support, visit the Court Trustee's web page

Child Custody

When parents are divorced, child custody matters are part of the divorce and are defined in the Parenting Plan (PDF format)

For modifications of a Parenting Plan (PDF format) or for child-custody issues between unmarried parents, advice from an attorney is strongly recommended.

Parenting Classes

Providing Co-Parent Education for divorcing and never married parents in Douglas County and surrounding areas.

Dispute Solutions: Education for Families in Transition

To register for a class contact: 1-866-726-3700 or 307-514-5812

Fees may be reduced or waived based on need

Dr. James B. Nolan, Ph.D.

Registration: 1-888-240-5498



Sherry Chamblis

Address: 3275 Live Oak Rd., Cuero, TX 77954

Phone(s): Toll free: 1-888-474-5437 (toll-free) or 361-275-8057

Website: Kids First | Court Ordered Online Co-Parenting


Online Co-Parenting, Parenting Skills, and Conflict Management Classes
204 West Spear Street, Ste 3149
Carson City, NV 89703
Phone: 775-886-0869 or 1-866-504-2883 (toll free)

Protection Orders

Kansas Protection Order Portal Logo

Simplifying the Protection Order Process

Filing a petition for protection can be confusing and overwhelming, especially when COVID-19 makes going to court difficult.

This portal offers helpful information, resources, and a clear path. You can complete the forms from anywhere and on any device. It is also free.

Get Started

Protection FAQ

Stalking Cases: If you are in fear for your safety because of stalking, you may file a Protection from Stalking (PFS) case.

Abuse Cases: If you are being abused by an intimate partner or member of your household, you may seek a restraining order by filing a Protection from Abuse (PFA) case.

The Clerk of the District Court provides the forms and instructions for filing a PFS or PFA. To get to more information about these orders and the process, please download the appropriate Protection Forms and Instructions document (PFS or PFA). You also may file a PFS on behalf of your child or a child living with you.

Related Forms

Stalking Cases

PFSSA Forms and Instructions at the Kansas Judicial Council website

Filing Online for Protection from Stalking:

Abuse Cases

PFA Forms and Instructions at the Kansas Judicial Council website

Filing for Protection from Abuse Online

Can I file another type of restraining order besides a protection from abuse or stalking?

Obtaining a restraining order for reasons other than abuse or stalking must be done through a separate civil action.

How could I begin that process?

You may want to consult an attorney to obtain a restraining order in these cases, because the clerk's office does not provide forms or an instruction booklet. 

  • As the person filing the petition, you are the plaintiff. There can only be one adult plaintiff per petition. Please provide your name, birthdate, address, phone number, and email where you can be reached.
  • The defendant is the person that you are seeking protection from. You may only have one defendant per petition, unless the defendant is a minor child. Please provide defendant’s first and last name, date of birth, addresses, and their physical description.
  • If you are wanting protection for your children:
    • Please list them as plaintiffs after your name.
    • You must fill out the UCCJEA Form - Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act Form. If you are filling out the UCCJEA form, be sure to fill out box #3. Box #3 is very important!
  • If the defendant is a minor child, please write “by and through their parent” i.e. “Carl Smith Jr., minor, by and through parent, Carl Smith Sr.”.
  • Please answer question #1 on the petition. This question is asking who you are seeking to protect: yourself, minor children, or yourself and minor children.
  • The information you provide on question #5 on the PFA form and question #6 on the PFS form is the only information that the judge will have to base their decision on. The judges do not have access to police reports, unless you provide them with your petition. Please be as detailed as possible. If you need additional room to answer, do not write on the back of the pages, instead write on new paper.
  • Fill out the petition to the best of your abilities by answering every question. You may also fill out your petition using the online portal.
  • Sign the petition before turning it in.