Do I have a Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV) and need a US DOT #?

Beginning January 1, 2014, Motor Carriers will no longer pay ad-valorem tax (tax based on value), nor personal property tax on Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV). With the passage of HB2557 during the 2012 legislative session, CMVs will pay a new "Commercial vehicle fee" that will be collected at the time of registration. Intrastate (do not travel outside the state of Kansas) CMVs will receive a new registration plate that will have a screen printed "COMMERCIAL" at the bottom of the plate.     

A commercial vehicle is any self-propelled (truck) or towed (trailer) vehicle engaged in the furtherance of commerce that is used to transport property or passengers when the vehicle:

  1. has a gross vehicle (capacity/rated) weight or gross combination vehicle weight (truck and trailer) of 10,001 pounds or more or,     
  2. is designed or used to transport 15 or more passengers, including the driver or,     
  3. is used to transport hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding.

Note: This change does not affect Farm Registration or vehicles of a public utility whose property is assessed by the director of property valuation.