Home Business

Zoning and Codes

Contact Us

Hours: Mon-Fri, 8 am - 5pm, Closed 12-1
Contact: Zoning and Codes

Office closed weekdays from 12 to 1 pm

Home Business

Douglas County is host to a wide array of individuals who make their living doing what they love. In the spirit of entrepreneurship, many residents have started a business in their very own home.

While home businesses can be great, many unintentionally lead to adverse effects on adjacent neighbors and properties. For this reason, home based businesses have been categorized into Type 1, Type 2, and Conditional Use’s. All home based businesses are required to register their business through Douglas County Zoning and Codes.

A Type 1 business can generally be conducted wholly within the dwelling unit and are ancillary to the primary residential use. Type 1 business uses include, but not limited to:

  • Maximum full-time non-resident employees allowed: 2
  • professional/service-type offices (tax advisors, insurance agent, art studio, small educational classes)
  • Personal Services (barber/beauty shops, seamstresses)

Type 2 home businesses are typically incidental and accessory to the primary residential use. Type 2 businesses are more intense than Type 1. The number of employees, road impacts, and noise are all ways Type 2 businesses can have a greater impact on the surrounding area. Common type 2 businesses are service-oriented or involve the production of materials for sale off premise:

  • Maximum full-time non-resident employees allowed: 4
  • Uses allowed: All Type 1, Construction/ equipment storage, welding and some types of manufacturing
  • Auto/vehicle repair
  • Funeral home
  • Trailer, car, or other equipment rental
  • Restaurants

Some proposed land uses have the potential to have an impact greater than Type 1 or 2. These operations cannot simply be administratively approved since neighbors deserve to have their concerns heard and addressed and special conditions may need to be enacted to minimize impact. In addition, there are some uses that are not permitted by right, but can be permitted by the discretion of the Board of county Commissioners. The Conditional Use Permit (CUP) is reviewed by City/County staff and sent to the Board of County Commissioners for final approval or denial.

For more information regarding CUP's, please contact:

The Planner of the Day

Phone: 785-832-7700

Email: planning@lawrenceks.org