Vehicle Inspections


Vehicle Inspections

When Vehicle Inspections Are Required

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspections are required in Kansas if:

  • A vehicle has a title from a state other than Kansas or a foreign country
  • A vehicle has been assembled, reconstructed, reconstituted or restored from one or more vehicles
  • The proper VIN of a vehicle is in doubt
  • A vehicle is being sold on a bill of sale as an antique and it is 60 years old or newer
  • A vehicle is going from a non-highway or salvage title to a formerly non-highway or rebuilt salvage

This inspection must be completed before the Kansas Department of Revenue will issue a license tag or title for the vehicle.


Inspection Locations

The Douglas County Treasurer's Office does not perform VIN inspections. The VIN inspections are conducted by trained law enforcement personnel employed by the Highway Patrol or designated law enforcement agencies across the state. The majority of these inspections are conducted at a fixed location in each county.

Here is the contact information for the VIN inspection offices in Douglas County, Kansas.


Kansas Highway Patrol - VIN Inspection Office

The Lawrence location offers inspection by appointment only! Please plan ahead. Baldwin City offers walk-in inspections, they do not offer salvage/rebuilt inspections.

Location: I-70 Business Center 1035 N. 3rd Street Suite 107, Lawrence, KS 66044


Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 3:15 p.m. (Appointment only)

Salvage inspections: Appointment only; Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

Website: Kansas Highway Patrol's VIN Inspection Website

Map: Map of VIN Inspection Office (PDF)


Baldwin City Police Department

Address: 203 1st Street, Baldwin City, KS 66006


Inspection Hours: Tuesday & Thursdays 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00pm to 4:00 pm 

Website: Baldwin City Police Department


Inspection Items

Please bring the following items with you:

  1. Make an appointment at KHP's website
  2. The vehicle that needs to have the inspection.
  3. A valid driver's license.
  4. The title to the vehicle - If your lienholder has possession of your title, please call them and mail it to Douglas County Treasurer 1100 Massachusetts St. Lawrence, KS 66044. We need the actual title and cannot proceed without it.
  5. There is a $20.00 fee. For prior salvage and salvage vehicles there is a $25.00 fee. The inspection fee will be paid when you register the vehicle.